What is Telecel ZImbabwe?

Telecel Zimbabwe is one of Zimbabwe's mobile telecommunications network service providers. Headquartered in Harare, Telecel Zimbabwe is the third largest mobile telecommunications network service provider in Zimbabwe with the government of Zimbabwe being the major shareholder. Telecel is the first mobile phone network in Zimbabwe to attain ISO 9001: 2000 certification.

What is Telecel ZImbabwe?

Telecel Zimbabwe is one of Zimbabwe's mobile telecommunications network service providers. Headquartered in Harare, Telecel Zimbabwe is the third largest mobile telecommunications network service provider in Zimbabwe with the government of Zimbabwe being the major shareholder. Telecel is the first mobile phone network in Zimbabwe to attain ISO 9001: 2000 certification.

History

Telecel Zimbabwe began operating in 1998. It was formed as a partnership between Telecel International, which is a subsidiary of Cairo-based Orascom Telecom Company, a telecommunications company with operations in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and North America which in turn is owned by telecommunications giant Vimpelcom, and the Empowerment Corporation, which is a consortium of Zimbabwean business organisations.

Shareholding

Telecel shareholding consists of James Makamba, through Kestrel Corporation, the Indigenous Business Women Organisation, but the shareholding is personalised through Jane Mutasa's Selporn Investments, Zimbabwe Miners’ Federation, Affirmative Action Group, War Veterans’ Association and Zimbabwe Farmers’ Union. Government of Zimbabwe owns 60% shareholding through ZARnet which it bought from Telecel International.

At one point the regulatory authority, the Posts and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz), cancelled the company's licence because of the failure to reduce the foreign shareholding. However, the company appealed against this. In 2013 its licence was renewed for a further 20 years but on the understanding that steps would be taken to alter the shareholding. The country's Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Act also requires foreign ownership of Zimbabwean companies to be limited to a maximum of 49%, with the remaining 51% being in the hands of indigenous Zimbabweans.

The chairman of Telecel Zimbabwe is Dr. James Makamba, who represents the Empowerment Corporation on the board of directors.

Network Coverage

Telecel's network coverage covers more than 85% of the country, including all its towns, cities and tourist resorts, as well as many smaller centres and rural areas